Friday 4 July 2014

Our favorite date night movies + tips!


Caroline 

I'm not very picky when it comes to movies; a decent plot line, some humor and action will keep me happy. Romance is always an added bonus.

My top date night movies are as follow:





The Amazing Spiderman. The soundtrack to this movie was intense, Andrew Garfield makes for an amazing Spiderman ( see what I did there) and who doesn't love Emma Stone in anything?! There was plenty of classic Spiderman sarcastic humor and of course, plenty of action.





300 Rise of an Empire. This movie was great for the two of us in particular. I'm not saying that the movie in general was mind blowing, however, I was a big fan of the original, and of Gerard Butler of course (sigh). The painted on abs and comic-like gore scenes make a return in a continuum of the first 300 movie, enriching the story line and adding depth to the characters.





Pulp Fiction. A true classic and one of my all time faves. This movie tends to confuse the bejeezus out of my boyfriend but he enjoyed it nonetheless. In classic Tarantino form, the plot line goes back and forth between different characters, all linked to one another in some way. The characters are all very eccentric and hilarious.









As always, compromise is the key. I don't drag him to see too many cheesy romantic comedies, and then I pretend to love watching all those darned Sci-Fi action gore fests he loves so much. The things we do.







Dominique 





Live Free or Die Hard: Don't get me wrong, I love all movies with Bruce Willis, but the combo with Bruce and Justin Long really made this one stand out for me. Packed with action and explosion, and some minor romance. Yippee-Kaye-Mother-Trucker. 





The Spectacular Now: Probably my favorite movie. I love every minute of it. I'm not sure if it's because I could relate to both characters, or if it's Shaylene and Mile's chemistry that made this story line seem so real, but the truthfulness and the life experiences that the movie portrays is really incomparable. This is to me, a typical teen's life; No over the top mansions, tight and fancy clothes or expensive cars. Just average teenagers who are trying to find their way. 





How to Train Your Dragon: The best animated movie of all time! Sure Up! and Despicable Me tied in second, but seriously, who doesn't love an underdog trying to prove to the world that he's got what it takes. With a dragon named Toothless no less. Jay Baruchel does a great job in voicing Hiccup. Oh, and a little of Gerard Butler never hurt either. 









Top movie date tips.

 Skip the snack line! Bring your own; we like to stop at Bulk Barn just before to pick up our favorite snacks. It can cut the costs in half.

Cheap days. In Ottawa, most theaters have "cheap" Tuesdays, where the tickets are discounted for all movies. Be careful though, if you're using a points card like "Scene", the movies are still 1000 points. 

Watch at home! We tend to reserve an outing at the cinema for highly anticipated movies, and keep the rest for at home. Netflix and Amazon, have most of the good movies, at a fraction of the price. We like to have fun with these stay-at-home movie dates, having a picnic on a blanket in front of the TV with delicious snacks (nachos anyone?) and the convenience of clean and unoccupied bathrooms!



What are you favorite date movies? We would love to know! Leave us a comment below or email us at lipsticklabels@gmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment